Tuesday, September 25, 2007

How Important Is Exercise?

Very!!

Try to be active atleast 4 to 6 times per week. Simple as that. A bike ride, a dance class, jogging, martial arts or whatever motivates you to move and engage those muscles. The recommended daily suggestion of exercise is over 24 minutes. This is the bare minimum. For example, what works for me is splitting up my routine. As much as I hate leaving my warm and cozy bed in the morning, I make every effort to get up in the morning and go for a jog. My jog (at a comfortable pace), usually lasts on average about 45 minutes and gives me the circulation that my body needs. It provides me focus, mental clarity and the overall feeling of well-being. Then I will go to the gym at the end of my work day and finish up my routine with either weights and/or the stairmaster or bike, some additional cardio to complete my program.

Jogging may not be your thing but there are other activities that you can encorporate into your routine. Any fitness center can provide you with all sorts of equipment to help you reach your goal, such as an indoor running treadmill, stairmaster, elliptical trainer for those who have issues with joints and knees, in addition to exercise bikes and weights. I have personally invested in some exercise DVD's that have been extremely helpful in shuffling my routine so that I am not bored. One of the most all around "age-friendly", fun workout routines that I have ever had the pleasure of doing is the Turbo Jam series. Great music, lots of moves to engage core muscles without actually having to lie down to do sit ups. This routine allows you to go at your own pace and if you like, burn up to as much as 700 calories a workout.

I'm also a fan of the Ab Ripper X, from the P90X DVD's. A more advanced routine for one who wants to get into superior shape. I haven't personally accomplished the whole series, I can only comment on the Ab Ripper X which I can say is absolutely unreal! I can definitely tell when I have done the 16 and a half minute routine. I have to be more consistent but I really recommend this DVD set if you want to get serious about your results. If you want something quick and effective to start out your day? Try 8-Minute Abs. It's an older video but it certainly hits all the target areas in the abdominal region in as little as 8 minutes.

Pilates is another wonderful way to tone and tighten. It's not only for women, men can benefit from Pilates as well. The Windsor Pilates Series is the expert in the field, however there are many other Pilates DVD's that give you great results. Another low impact aerobic routine is Yoga, which is something I have not yet tried but I will soon be taking a class and post my results. I have heard it to be very effective in reducing stress....where do I sign up, please?!!!

In any case, it's important to find something that gets you to move consistently over a substantial period of time, enough to burn a few calories and promote better overall health and well-being. Hey, who knows, you may make a friend or two in the process.

No comments: